Thursday, March 19, 2009

Springfield Stories Part One

I sent out a newsletter earlier this week asking for stories this week about your favorite memories of the Springfield Antique Show & Flea Market. It can be a memory of family, friends, something you found or a funny story. Email your stories to info@springfieldantiqueshow.com - if I use your story, you will recieve a 2009 season pass. I'll kick it off with one of my favorites.


About 8 or 9 years ago, I was riding in a golf cart down one of the aisles heading back to the show office. It was very crowded, so I was not able to go very fast, and I was looking at booths as I waited for traffic to clear. I suddenly stopped as realized that I just driven past what appeared to be an 18th Century tiger maple bonnet top highboy. For those of you familiar with those, you typically don't expect to see them in this setting. I got out an started staring in dis-belief, feeling drawer bottoms and legs, looking at the back and the bonnet. Sure enough- it did turn out to be original. Although I didn't buy it, it quickly sold and sold again. I'm sure it found a good home and money was made by all. The funniest thing about the highboy, it was located next to a booth with gourmet mustard. Never can tell what you are going to find at the show.


Please share your stories and check back again.


Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment