Sunday, September 26, 2010

At our core.



Between Ronald McDonald photos and bad jokes, many of our tens of readers will recognize that one of my focus on the blog is trying to tackle some of the big picture challenges that the industry faces. Last Monday I attended a meeting with others concerned about the same thing. While on the way home from the meeting, I picked up Jim Collins' new book about struggling companies/industries to try to see what I could find that would apply to us. One of the points he made was that in difficult times, companies often get away from their core. I've spent the last few days trying to figure out "what is the core/focus of our business'?

What I've come up with is that the business essentially revolves around two things:
1. The Stuff (art, antiques, vintage & design
2. The people (customers, dealers, auctioneers, promoters,etc.

All of the other things are just distractions from 1 & 2.

Let me know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment